Jim Miller is the managing partner and is in charge of the administration of business practices, strategic planning, marketing, and attorney development. Jim is an experienced litigator who has handled cases throughout the country. He specializes in litigating real estate, entertainment, healthcare, banking and intellectual property cases. Jim has obtained successful results for his clients in various litigation matters. Prior to litigating, he formerly worked on mergers and acquisitions, real estate purchase and sales, and financing and leasing deals.
- Represented a major talent agency in a copyright infringement case regarding the motion pictures “Terminator 2” and “Terminator 3”.
- Represented Opus Bank and won summary judgment against an insurer that was disputing the existence of coverage.
- Represented one of the biggest record labels in the world in a trademark infringement dispute relating to use of a band’s name and obtained dismissal on summary judgment.
- Represented one of the largest social media companies in the world in a complex products liability dispute that favorably settled.
- Represented one of California’s largest skilled nursing care facilities owners in several business and employment disputes throughout California.
- Represented California Bank & Trust in a class action case challenging the way interest is calculated on loans and obtained dismissal of all class action claims on demurrer.
- Represented a technology services company in trade secret dispute.
- Represented the Metropolitan Water District and obtained dismissal on summary judgment of a breach of contract claim that sought hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Represented owners of a national car service company in bad faith action against their insurer.
- Represented a real estate developer in a contract dispute over the development of a 700 acre property in San Luis Obispo County and achieved a favorable settlement after trial commenced.
- Represented a large real estate developer in defending against an alter ego lawsuit that the plaintiff dismissed with prejudice on the first day of trial.
- Represented a successful entrepreneur in a partnership dispute regarding the ownership of several automotive dealerships and achieved a favorable settlement.
- Represented a large real estate developer in bankruptcy court against several Lehman Brothers affiliates in an equitable subordination lawsuit with loans of more than $2 billion involved.
- Represented NBA all-star and achieved a favorable settlement in a case involving several tort claims seeking in excess of $10 million.
- Represented one of the world’s leading brand management companies in a contract dispute against an A-list celebrity which settled on favorable terms shortly before trial.
- Represented a high-end denim jeans manufacturer in a dispute with a publicly traded software company over installation of SAP software.
- Represented the Los Angeles Coliseum Commission to conduct an investigation into the Electric Daisy Carnival and the death of a 15 year old girl that attended.
Jim was born and raised in Los Angeles and received his Juris Doctorate from the University of Michigan Law School in 2004. Prior to attending law school, he graduated from UCLA as a member of Phi Beta Kappa, where he received a Bachelor’s Degree in History. Jim has served on the Board of Directors of DARE America since 2010. Jim is also a member of the Board of Trustees of Curtis School.