Jason is a complex commercial litigator with extensive experience in the entertainment, professional sports, real estate, and financial industries. He has represented a multitude of movie studios, one of the leading home builders in the nation, and a variety of pro-sports companies.
- Obtained a jury verdict for $3.4 million for California Bank & Trust and defeated cross-claims seeking over $35 million in damages for breach of contract, fraud, and negligence.
- Secured a blockbuster ruling for Warner Bros. and DC Comics in a complex intellectual property and contract action involving the rights to Superman, allowing the studio to continue using the comic book character going forward.
- Represented Lennar Corporation, a Fortune 500 land development company, in multiple matters including:
- Secured a $54 million judgment for Lennar—the defendant—after a 13-month trial and defeated the plaintiffs’ mismanagement claims totaling more than $200 million;
- Obtained a jury verdict of more than $1 billion in a securities fraud and market manipulation lawsuit on behalf of Lennar;
- Secured a dramatic dismissal of a lawsuit involving a claimed partnership interest on the eve of trial based on admissions by the plaintiff at deposition; and
- Successfully prosecuted malpractice/breach of fiduciary duty lawsuit against Lennar’s prior attorneys.
- Obtained favorable settlement for Toll Brothers, a Fortune 500 land development company, in land dispute over alleged easement on property being developed in Porter Ranch, California.
- Represented Sony Pictures Entertainment in asserted class action in California state court involving breach of contract and other claims relating to home video distribution of motion pictures.
- Secured dismissal on behalf of Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG), a leading sports and entertainment company, of copyright infringement claims relating to the soundtrack for the motion picture “This Is It,” starring entertainer Michael Jackson.
- Obtained favorable settlement for the Brees Dream Foundation, a non-profit charity founded by NFL quarterback Drew Brees and his wife, in the prosecution of a breach of contract and fiduciary duties lawsuit concerning the Foundation’s annual charity golf tournament in San Diego, CA.
- Successfully represented boxing promoter Top Rank, boxer Manny Pacquiao, and former welterweight champion Antonio Margarito in various matters, including breach of contract, defamation, and matters before the New York and Nevada State Athletic Commissions.
- Obtained favorable settlement for client in elder abuse case involving claims of financial and emotional abuse by client’s step-daughter.
- Prevailed in cases before the Department of Justice and Board of Immigration Appeals where clients were facing deportation.
- Provided assistance in the research and drafting of the 2008 Report to the National War Powers Commission co-chaired by former Secretaries of States Warren Christopher and James A. Baker.
Jason recently co-authored a two-part series of articles published in the Daily Journal addressing how today’s work-from-home world has changed how data is created, where it is located, how it is preserved and collected, and the impacts on data privacy and security.
Jason was named among Los Angeles Business Journal’s Leaders of Influence: Thriving in Their 40’s in 2021 and Top Minority Attorneys in 2020-2022. He was selected to the Southern California Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers® in 2017-2019.
Jason serves on the boards of the Alzheimer’s Association’s Young Professionals Committee, the Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association, and the Young Professionals Council for Make-a-Wish Greater Los Angeles. He is a member of the Asian Pacific American Bar Association and the California Minority Counsel Program, a non-profit mutual benefit corporation dedicated to promoting diversity in the legal profession by providing attorneys of color with access and opportunity for business and professional development.
Jason volunteers with numerous Los Angeles-based charities, including the After-School All-Stars, Los Angeles, Big Sunday, Reading to Kids, and Midnight Mission.
Jason received his Juris Doctorate from the University of California, Berkeley School of Law in 2007, Order of the Coif. During law school, he was a Supervising Editor of the Berkeley Business Law Journal. Jason graduated Phi Beta Kappa from the University of Hawaii at Manoa, where he received a Bachelor’s Degree in English and Political Science.
Prior to joining Miller Barondess, Jason was litigation counsel at a large, international firm in its Business Trial and Litigation practice group. He also served as a judicial extern for the Honorable Dean D. Pregerson of the United States District Court for the Central District of California.
Admitted to practice in California.