Ellie is an appellate attorney admitted to practice in California and Texas. Her practice focuses on appeals, writs, and dispositive pre- and post-trial motions on a broad range of legal issues, including premises liability, attorneys fees, contracts, family law/complex divorces, evidence, insurance (bad faith, Cumis counsel), products liability, employment and civil procedure. Ellie has been recognized among The Best Lawyers in America® 2023.
- Won complete reversal of intentional infliction of emotional distress judgment, punitive damages, and private attorney general (PAGA) fees, and a near-total reversal of a compensatory damages award for a large hotel client facing an adverse jury verdict and sizeable damages and fee awards for negligence and intentional infliction claims.
- Successfully defended defense judgment on appeal for trucking company client on an issue of first impression involving the interplay between California’s Code of Civil Procedure section 998 (governing pretrial offers to settle) and California’s workers’ compensation statutes. The case resulted in a precedent-setting published decision by the California Court of Appeal in favor of Ellie’s client.
- Won reversal of attorney’s fees award for large California University.
- Successfully defended dismissal of a declaratory judgment lawsuit against a large insurance carrier on appeal. The case involved a carrier’s potential obligation to provide independent “Cumis” counsel to its insured in an underlying wrongful death lawsuit. The California Court of Appeal resolved the case in favor of Ellie’s client in a published decision that included a concurring opinion on an unresolved issue of civil procedure–when and how a deficient declaratory relief claim can be dismissed.
- Successfully represented insurance carrier client on complex pre- and post-judgment interest issues following reversal of judgment on appeal, resulting in over a million dollars in interest for the carrier.
- Successfully defended summary judgment on appeal for a large Southern California public utility company facing negligence and premises liability claims.
- Successfully defended summary judgment on appeal for a large real estate broker facing breach of fiduciary duty and unlawful practice of law claims.
- Successfully defended a defense verdict on appeal for a large pet store facing negligence and products liability claims stemming from the sale of a pet rat.
Ellie has published and presented on a variety of issues including evidence, expert witnesses, and an annual update on developments in California law (state and federal) covering all areas of civil litigation. She is active on LACBA’s State Appellate Judicial Evaluation Committee–evaluating judicial appellate court nominees and preparing reports and recommendations to the Governor’s Office.
Prior to joining Miller Barondess, Ellie was an appellate attorney at a boutique appellate firm in Los Angeles, and a research attorney at the California Court of Appeal. Before moving to California, Ellie had a criminal defense practice in central Texas. Prior to law school, Ellie was an Account Executive at an international public relations company in New York, New York, developing and implementing media relations campaigns for large nonprofit and institutional clients.
Ellie received her undergraduate degree magna cum laude from Emory University, and her law degree from the University of Houston.