David Schecter is a civil litigator and trial lawyer who represents clients in business and intellectual property disputes in state and federal courts throughout California. David also regularly represents clients in the music and entertainment industries—including musical acts, artists, songwriters, record producers and music and entertainment management companies—to resolve disputes either through litigation or other dispute resolution mechanisms.
Prior to joining Miller Barondess, David was a litigation associate at Jones Day and served as a law clerk to the Honorable Marilyn L. Huff in the United States District Court for the Southern District of California.
- Prosecuting direct and derivative claims on behalf of venture capital firm against executives and directors of bio-technology firm for breach of fiduciary duty and corporate waste.
- Defending client sued for alleged non-payment of a $30 million promissory note.
- Prosecuting breach of fiduciary duty and conversion claims on behalf of majority owner of five commercial real estate properties against minority owner and operator who made several unauthorized withdrawals.
- Defending music management company and booking agent against personal injury and breach of contract claims seeking $30 million in damages brought by musical act and record label in connection with a worldwide tour.
- Defending the County of Los Angeles in a federal class action lawsuit brought by children and young adults in the County’s foster care system; filed motion to vacate 17-year old consent decree; case settled favorably thereafter.
- Prosecuting breach of contract and copyright claims on behalf of record label against former artist.
- Defending high-profile artist against claims brought by his former manager for allegedly unpaid commissions.
- Prosecuting accounting and audit-related claims on behalf of a heavy metal band against former record label.
- Defending investment advisory group against claims of improper employee solicitation brought by former employer.
- Representing a major television and motion picture company in civil rights litigation against Charter Communications for refusing to offer a carriage contract.
- Defending prominent cannabis company against claims brought by disgruntled investors in a company subsequently acquired by the client.
- Defending documentary film production company against copyright and idea theft claims brought by filmmaker.
- Represented a private air charter company whose aircraft was damaged in a three-plane ground collision; obtained a $2,464,560 jury verdict and over $1.8 million in attorneys’ fees.
- Defended high-profile musician, songwriter and producer in litigation against the client’s former business manager and talent agent.
- Defeated petition for certiorari filed by San Diego police officer in the U.S. Supreme Court seeking to overturn a Ninth Circuit decision holding that the officer was not entitled to qualified immunity for his use of lethal force against an unarmed victim.
- Represented a sexual assault victim in litigation against the City of Los Angeles and two former officers in its police department; obtained favorable settlement.
- Defended high-profile heavy metal band, major concert promotion company and other parties against claims of copyright infringement; filed summary judgment motions to dismiss the claims on various grounds, including lack of copyright standing; settled the case favorably on the eve of the summary judgment hearing.
- Defended music management company and high-profile heavy metal band in litigation brought by the band’s record label; case settled favorably after deposition of former record label’s president.
- Prosecuted a legal malpractice action on behalf of a major Los Angeles private equity and real estate firm against the clients’ prior litigation attorneys who mishandled a $50 million arbitration and then suddenly withdrew on the eve of the arbitration hearing; defeated the defendants’ summary adjudication motion; the case settled favorably thereafter prior to trial.
- Represented the County of Los Angeles in litigation against Southern California Gas Company in connection with the Aliso Canyon/Porter Ranch gas leak; successfully opposed SoCal Gas’ motion to dismiss the case on preemption grounds; assisted other litigators in the firm to prosecute the case, which resulted in a $119.5 million settlement.
- Prosecuted a $10 million breach of contract action on behalf of a major golf equipment manufacturer against a packaging vendor; reached a favorable settlement on the eve of deposing the vendor’s president and CEO.
- Defended a leading social media company against products liability claims related to its video filtering technology; reached favorable settlement in mediation.
- Defended a jewelry design company in trademark litigation brought by the client’s licensor; defeated the licensor’s motion for a preliminary injunction.
- Prosecuted a $1 million breach of contract and fraud action on behalf of a major retailer against a gift card supplier; reached a favorable settlement in mediation.
David received his Juris Doctorate from the University of Pennsylvania in 2010, where he was a senior editor of the University of Pennsylvania Law Review. During law school, David played professional lacrosse for the Philadelphia Barrage in the MLL. David received his Bachelor of Arts in Economics from Yale University in 2006.