David Schecter is a civil litigator and trial lawyer who represents clients in business and intellectual property disputes in state and federal courts throughout California. David also regularly represents clients in the music and entertainment industries—including musical acts, artists, songwriters, record producers and music and entertainment management companies—to resolve disputes either through litigation or other dispute resolution mechanisms.
Prior to joining Miller Barondess, David was a litigation associate at Jones Day and served as a law clerk to the Honorable Marilyn L. Huff in the United States District Court for the Southern District of California.
- Defending the County of Los Angeles in a class action lawsuit brought by children and young adults in the County’s foster care system
- Representing a private air charter company whose aircraft was damaged in a three-plane ground collision; obtained a $2,464,560 jury verdict.
- Representing a major television and motion picture company in civil rights litigation against Comcast and Charter Communications; obtained two favorable appellate decisions in the Ninth Circuit which reversed the grant of Comcast’s motion to dismiss and affirmed the denial of Charter Communication’s motion to dismiss.
- Defending high-profile musician, songwriter and producer in litigation against the client’s former business manager and talent agent.
- Defending music management company and booking agent in litigation brought by a disgruntled band in connection with a worldwide tour.
- Representing a sexual assault victim in litigation against the City of Los Angeles and two former officers in its police department.
- Defended high-profile heavy metal band, major concert promotion company and other parties against claims of copyright infringement; filed summary judgment motions to dismiss the claims on various grounds, including lack of copyright standing; settled the case favorably on the eve of the summary judgment hearing.
- Defended music management company and high-profile heavy metal band in litigation brought by the band’s record label; settled the case favorably on the eve of deposing the record label’s president.
- Prosecuted a legal malpractice action on behalf of a major Los Angeles private equity and real estate firm against the clients’ prior litigation attorneys who mishandled an $50+ million arbitration and then suddenly withdrew on the eve of the arbitration hearing; defeated the defendants’ summary adjudication motion; the case settled favorably thereafter prior to trial.
- Represented the County of Los Angeles in litigation against Southern California Gas Company in connection with the Aliso Canyon/Porter Ranch gas leak; successfully opposed SoCal Gas’s motion to dismiss the case on preemption grounds; assisted other litigators in the firm to prosecute the case, which resulted in a $119.5 million settlement.
- Prosecuted a $10 million breach of contract action on behalf of a major golf equipment manufacturer against a packaging vendor; reached a favorable settlement on the eve of deposing the vendor’s president and CEO.
- Defended a leading social media company against products liability claims related to its video filtering technology; reached favorable settlement in mediation.
- Defended a jewelry design company in trademark litigation brought by the client’s licensor; defeated the licensor’s motion for a preliminary injunction.
- Prosecuted a $1 million breach of contract and fraud action on behalf of a major retailer against a gift card supplier; reached a favorable settlement in mediation.
David received his Juris Doctorate from the University of Pennsylvania in 2010, where he was a senior editor of the University of Pennsylvania Law Review. During law school, David played professional lacrosse for the Philadelphia Barrage in the MLL. David received his Bachelor of Arts in Economics from Yale University in 2006.