Brian Procel was recognized as one of the “Top 20 Lawyers Under 40” in California by the Daily Journal.
Brian is an experienced trial attorney who has prosecuted and defended actions in both state and federal court. He has prevailed in complex commercial disputes involving a wide variety of issues, including investor and consumer fraud, lender liability, class actions, intellectual property, entertainment and real estate.
Notable accomplishments include:
- Prevailed at trial on behalf of a publicly-traded bank in an action where the plaintiffs sought more than $20 million in damages relating to lender liability and fraud claims, and Brian recovered attorney’s fees for his client;
- Won a unanimous jury verdict on behalf of East West Bank in a multi-party lender liability action, and recovered attorney’s fees for his client. This case was recognized by the Daily Journal as one of the “Top 10 Defense Verdicts” of the year;
- Prevailed in a jury trial on behalf of SunCal, one of the largest real estate developers in the United States. Brian recovered $6.3 million in lost profits and interest, despite one of the most significant market downturns in recent history;
- Representing film post-production company in $70 million lawsuit against publicly-traded lender;
- Successfully resolved multiple lawsuits concerning $40 million investment in Coffee Bean franchise;
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of East West Bank in a $50 million lender liability/fraud action, and recovered attorney’s fees for his client;
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of the County of Los Angeles in connection with a taxpayer lawsuit involving a $64 million spending program;
- Representing a real estate investment fund in litigation relating to a $39 million acquisition of branded hotel;
- Successfully resolved four related lawsuits on behalf of a medical group surrounding a $100 million acquisition of a subsidiary;
- Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of Union Bank in a nationwide federal class action where the plaintiffs sought to recover more than $250 million lost in connection with the notorious Reed Slatkin Ponzi scheme;
- Defeated class certification and secured a dismissal with prejudice on behalf of Natrol, Inc., a multinational nutraceutical company, where the plaintiffs alleged that Natrol defrauded consumers in the advertising of its Carb-Intercept dietary supplements;
- Defeated class certification and secured a dismissal with prejudice in federal court on behalf of Natrol, where the plaintiffs alleged that Natrol defrauded consumers in the advertising of its L-Arginine dietary supplements;
- Obtained a multi-million dollar judgment on behalf of a class of consumers against a nationwide moving company in a fraud action;
- Represented Nextel in a nationwide class action involving early termination fees;
- Represented plaintiffs in a groundbreaking action against Thomas Jefferson School of Law—the first case against a law school for misrepresenting its employment statistics to students;
- Represented music and television artists including Rod Stewart, Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi, Bret Michaels and Meat Loaf;
- Obtained a multi-million dollar settlement on behalf of an India-based plaintiff in an international accounting malpractice action;
- Secured a dismissal with prejudice on behalf of notable producer Merv Adelson in a breach of contract action involving production of children’s television series, and recovered attorney’s fees for his client;
- Obtained a multi-million fraud judgment on behalf of New Zealand-based real estate fund, successfully navigated properties through receivership, and recovered attorney’s fees for his client;
- Settled federal lawsuits on favorable terms against two of the largest medical insurance carriers in the United States on behalf of a pro bono client who was being denied coverage; and
- Prevailed in a jury trial representing an heir to the Spencer Tracy estate in a breach of fiduciary duty action.
Brian has received awards from the California State Bar, the Los Angeles County Bar Association and Bet Tzedek Legal Foundation for his dedication to pro bono work. He has also been a “Rising Star” or “Super Lawyer” every year since 2008, a distinction given to less than 2.5 percent of attorneys in California. Brian received the Hon. Benjamin Arranda III Outstanding Public Service Award by the Los Angeles County Bar Association for pro bono work.
Prior to joining Miller Barondess, Brian was a litigation associate at Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP.
Brian received his law degree from the University of California at Berkeley (Boalt Hall) in 2001. He graduated Phi Beta Kappa from the University of California, Berkeley, where he received a Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science.