Amnon Siegel is a trial attorney who regularly litigates in both state and federal court as well as binding arbitration. His practice focuses on complex civil litigation matters in the entertainment, technology, real estate, consumer products and financial services industries. Mr. Siegel has handled intellectual property and business competition disputes, including copyright, trademark, trade dress, trade secrets, unfair business practices, fiduciary claims and contract disputes. Mr. Siegel has represented employers and employees in trade secret and non-compete/non-solicit matters. He has also represented businesses and individuals in partnership dissolutions, breakups or “business divorces.”
Mr. Siegel’s current and former litigation experience includes:
- Lead trial lawyer in obtaining a $256.45 Million jury verdict against Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp. on behalf of auto-dealer Superior Automotive Group following a 7-week jury trial. The jury awarded $121.9 million in compensatory damages and $134.55 million in punitive damages.
- First-chairing a full arbitration victory for D.A.R.E. America in a franchise and licensing dispute with one of its state affiliates, including obtaining substantial award of attorneys’ fees.
- Representing an e-cigarette manufacturer in a dispute with its former exclusive distributor involving trade dress, cross-breaches of oral contract and fiduciary claims.
- Unanimous jury verdict on behalf of East West Bank in a multi-million dollar lender liability action; obtained a $2.5 million judgment for attorneys’ fees, expert fees and costs – a top ten defense verdict in California.
- Obtaining the dismissal of trade secret misappropriation and unfair business practices claims on summary judgment on behalf of a technology company and its employees (AAA Arbitration).
- Successfully defending the C.E.O. and C.O.O. of an asset management company against a large commercial bank for trade secret misappropriation, breach of contract and violation of non-compete/non-solicit claims.
- Obtaining a substantial monetary judgment in FINRA arbitration for an investment bank against one of its former managing directors for breach of fiduciary duty, trade secret misappropriation and breach of contract.
- Representing the Estate of Tupac Shakur against Morgan Creek Productions over the rights to a biopic based on Tupac Shakur’s life;
- Representing the Estate of Don Adams against a major movie studio.
- Representing children’s band The Imagination Movers against their former management company.
- Representing Stone Temple Pilots in the band’s successful removal of their former lead singer, Scott Weiland.
- Representing the Estate of Marilyn Monroe in litigation involving copyright, fair use and rights of publicity.
- Successfully defending Questcor Pharmaceuticals (now part of Mallinckrodt plc) in a several hundred million dollar royalty agreement dispute.
- Winning summary judgment on behalf of the County of Los Angeles and the five County Supervisors in a taxpayer lawsuit involving a $16 million per year public spending program.
Mr. Siegel joined Miller Barondess in 2007 and has been integral to the firm’s growth. Before joining Miller Barondess, Mr. Siegel worked in the litigation department at Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP’s Los Angeles office, where he worked on complex civil litigation cases. Mr. Siegel graduated from New York University School of Law and prior to that, received his undergraduate degree from UC Berkeley. In 2007, 2013, 2014 and 2015, Mr. Siegel was recognized by his peers in Southern California Super Lawyers Magazine as a “Rising Star.”
Mr. Siegel is also well-versed in negotiation and alternative dispute resolution, having received advanced training and successfully mediating cases as a member of Los Angeles County Superior Court’s mediation panel.