Amnon Siegel is an experienced trial attorney with victories for plaintiffs and defendants in jury trials, bench trials and arbitrations. In 2017, Mr. Siegel obtained a $256 million jury verdict in Orange County Superior Court, one of the Top 10 verdicts in the country. Mr. Siegel has also obtained a Top 10 defense verdict after winning a unanimous jury trial on behalf of a bank. His practice focuses on complex civil litigation matters in the entertainment, transportation, technology, real estate and financial services industries. Mr. Siegel has handled intellectual property and business competition disputes, involving trade secrets, trademark, trade dress, unfair business practices, fiduciary duties and contract disputes. Mr. Siegel has represented employers and employees in trade secret, non-compete/non-solicit and tortious interference matters. He has also represented businesses and individuals in corporate and partnership dissolutions, breakups or “business divorces.”
Mr. Siegel’s current and former litigation experience includes:
- Lead trial lawyer in obtaining a $256 million jury verdict against Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp. on behalf of auto-dealer Superior Automotive Group following a 7-week jury trial. The jury awarded $121.9 million in compensatory damages and $134.55 million in punitive damages.
- Lead counsel for a private air charter company in obtaining a $2.5 million jury verdict for lost business profits caused by the gross negligence of a fixed-base operator at the airport.
- First-chairing a victory in binding arbitration for D.A.R.E. America in a franchise and licensing dispute with one of its state affiliates, including obtaining a substantial prevailing party attorneys’ fees award.
- Unanimous jury verdict on behalf of East West Bank in a multi-million dollar lender liability action; obtained a $2.5 million judgment for attorneys’ fees, expert fees and costs – a top ten defense verdict in California.
- Winning a FINRA arbitration on behalf of a hedge fund against a former Managing Director for breach of fiduciary duty, trade secret misappropriation and breach of contract.
- Successfully defending Questcor Pharmaceuticals (now part of Mallinckrodt plc) in a several hundred million dollar royalty agreement dispute.
- Winning summary judgment on behalf of the County of Los Angeles and the five County Supervisors in a taxpayer lawsuit involving a $16 million per year public spending program.
- Obtaining dismissal of trade secret misappropriation and unfair business practices claims on summary judgment on behalf of a technology company and its employees. Case settled favorably after the dismissal of these claims.
- Representing an e-cigarette manufacturer against its former exclusive distributor involving trade dress, oral contract and fiduciary claims.
- Successfully defending executives of several asset management companies against a large commercial bank for trade secret misappropriation, breach of contract and violation of non-compete/non-solicit claims.
- Representing the Estate of Tupac Shakur against Morgan Creek Productions over the rights to a biopic based on Tupac Shakur’s life;
- Representing children’s band The Imagination Movers against their former management company.
- Representing Stone Temple Pilots in the band’s successful removal of their former lead singer, Scott Weiland.
- Representing the Estate of Marilyn Monroe in right of publicity, copyright and fair use litigation.
Mr. Siegel joined Miller Barondess in 2007 and has been integral to the firm’s growth. Before joining Miller Barondess, Mr. Siegel worked in the litigation department at Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP’s Los Angeles office, where he worked on complex civil litigation cases. Mr. Siegel graduated from New York University School of Law and prior to that, received his undergraduate degree from UC Berkeley. In 2007, 2013, 2014 and 2015, Mr. Siegel was recognized by his peers in Southern California Super Lawyers Magazine as a “Rising Star.”
Mr. Siegel is also well-versed in negotiation and alternative dispute resolution, having received advanced training and successfully mediating cases as a member of Los Angeles County Superior Court’s mediation panel.