Brian A. Procel
University of California, Berkeley, School of Law – Boalt Hall, J.D.
University of California, Berkeley, B.A.
Brian Procel was recently recognized as one of the Top 20 Lawyers Under 40 in California by the Daily Journal. He has also been a “Rising Star” every year since 2008, a distinction given to less than 2.5 percent of attorneys in California.
Brian has extensive experience prosecuting and defending actions in both state and federal court. He has litigated and prevailed in cases involving a wide variety of issues, including investor and consumer fraud, lender liability, class actions, intellectual property, entertainment, bankruptcy, real estate, labor and employment, government contracts, and civil rights.
Notable accomplishments include:
- Prevailed as lead trial counsel in a real estate dispute involving the sale of 628 acres of land—the jury awarded his client $4.7 million in lost profits;
- Currently representing the plaintiffs in a groundbreaking $50 million class action filed against a law school for allegedly misrepresenting its employment statistics;
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a publicly-traded lender where the plaintiff sought more than $50 million in damages for breach of contract and fraud, and his client was awarded more than $1 million in attorney’s fees;
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of the County of Los Angeles in connection with a tax payer lawsuit involving a $16 million per year spending program;
- Obtained a multi-million dollar settlement on behalf of a real estate developer in connection with a 900-acre project in Northern California;
- Won a unanimous jury verdict on behalf of a publicly traded bank in a multi-million dollar lender liability action, and then successfully argued an attorney’s fees motion that resulted in $2.5 million award to his client. This case was recognized by the Daily Journal as a “Top 10 Defense Verdict” in California in 2008;
- Represented music and television artists including Rod Stewart, Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi, Bret Michaels and Meat Loaf;
- Secured a dismissal with prejudice on behalf of a notable television producer in a breach of contract action where the plaintiff sought more than $1.5 million in damages, and Brian recovered $150,000 in attorney’s fees for his client;
- Obtained a $6 million judgment on behalf of a class of consumers against a nationwide moving company in an action for violations of the California Commercial Code;
- Won a judgment in the amount of $3.3 million for fraud on behalf of a financial institution based in New Zealand, as well as an attorney’s fees award of $800,000;
- Prevailed in a jury trial representing an heir to the Spencer Tracy estate in a breach of fiduciary duty action. The jury awarded the plaintiff just $2.00 on claims totaling more than $3 million;
- Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of a financial institution in a nationwide federal class action where the plaintiffs sought to recover more than $250 million lost in a Ponzi scheme; and
- Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of the plaintiffs in a sexual harassment against a notable Hollywood actor.
Brian formerly served as outside general counsel to two companies: a multinational corporation engaged in the development and distribution of alternative energy, and a company that provides behavioral therapy to disabled children. He has experience advising companies on issues ranging from corporate formation to labor and employment law. Brian has received awards from the California State Bar and Bet Tzedek Legal Foundation for his dedication to pro bono work.
Prior to joining Miller Barondess, Brian was a litigation associate at Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Hedges, LLP.
Brian received his Juris Doctorate from the University of California at Berkeley (Boalt Hall) in 2001. He graduated Phi Beta Kappa from the University of California, Berkeley, where he received a Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science.